Originally posted in Brown Box Organics Newsletter 2013.
You have to love an organic recipe that feeds a crowd on a budget and can be made ahead in the crock pot! You can find all of the ingredients on our web site. http://www.BrownBoxOrganics.com
• 2 pounds boneless pork shoulder (or 2 1/2 pounds bone-in) such as local from Homestead Natural
• Salt and freshly ground black pepper
• 2 teaspoons dried oregano
• 1 teaspoon ground cumin
• 1 tablespoon olive oil
• 1 onion, coarsely chopped
• 4 cloves garlic, minced
• 1 jalapeno, seeded and ribs removed, chopped
• 1 orange, cut in half
• 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
Rinse and dry the pork shoulder. Salt and pepper liberally. Mix the oregano and the cumin with olive
oil and rub all over pork. Place the pork in a slow cooker and top with the onion, garlic, and jalapeno.
Squeeze over the juice of the orange and add the two halves. Cover and cook on low for 8 to 10 hours or
on high 4 hours.
Once the meat is tender, remove from slow cooker and let cool slightly before pulling apart with a fork. In
a large sauté pan, heat the vegetable oil over high heat. Press the carnitas into the oil and fry until crusty
on one side. Serve with your favorite toppings like avocado, fresh cilantro or salsa! Great in your favorite tortilla or in a salad.