I love the new flavors coming into Spring! This is when asparagus seems to be the best. That is why it is in all of our Variety Boxes this week. One of my favorite ways to enjoy asparagus is in a simple spring risotto. If you are not familiar with risotto it is a simple dish. The name is Italian and it means creamy rice. The end result of a successful risotto recipe is a bowl of warm creamy rice and depending on the recipe the exact flavor medley options are endless. For that reason risotto is a great dish to know the basic recipe so that you can let loose your creativity when your box arrives with different fresh ingredients throughout the year. This time of year I also love chard, spinach, peas, onions and carrots. You can also make risotto into a full vegetarian meal or add meats. My favorites are grilled chicken breast and shrimp. Enjoy!
• 1 lb. Asparagus, cut into 1inch pieces
• 2 cups organic chicken broth
• 1 cup water
• 1 tablespoon butter
• 1 1/2 cups chopped onion (about 1 medium)
• 1 1/2 cups uncooked Arborio rice or other medium-grain rice
• 1/3 cup dry white wine
• 3/4 cup (3 ounces) grated fresh Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese, divided
Juice from 1/2 lemon
• 1/4 cup heavy whipping cream
• 1 teaspoon salt
• 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1. Place asparagus in a steam pan and gently steam until crisp tender, about five minutes.
2. Combine broth and water in a medium saucepan; bring to a simmer (do not boil). Keep warm over low heat.
3. Melt butter in a large heavy saucepan over medium heat. Add onion to pan; cook 8 minutes or until tender, stirring occasionally. Stir in rice; cook 1 minute, stirring constantly. Stir in wine; cover and cook over low until most of the moisture is absorbed, about 25 minutes.
3. Stir in asparagus, lemon juice, cream, salt and pepper. Sprinkel with remaining cheese as desired.