Asian Roll Lettuce Wrap (with Radish)
With a little careful reading (look for wheat in the soy sauce!) and lots of fresh in season ingredients this meal is a light and flavorful, gluten free end of summer meal. It comes together quick enough to enjoy on busy weeknights.
1 pound ground turkey or chicken
1 tablespoon soy sauce
1 teaspoon minced garlic
2 teaspoons minced fresh ginger root
1 cup brown rice
1 cup water
16 large lettuce leaves
1 cup shredded carrots
1 cup green onions, thinly sliced
1 cup sliced red bell pepper
1 cup sliced radishes
1/3 cup light soy sauce
1/3 cup water
3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
2 teaspoons minced garlic 1 tablespoon minced fresh ginger root
1 teaspoon sugar
1. In a medium bowl, mix together ground turkey, 1 tablespoon soy sauce, 1 teaspoon minced garlic and 2 teaspoons ginger. Form into 16 meatballs and roll into ovals. Cover and refrigerate.
2. In a medium saucepan over medium heat, combine rice with 2 cups water. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer for 20 minutes, or until rice is tender.
3. Preheat the grill or broiler. Arrange rice, lettuce leaves, carrots, scallions, radishes and red peppers onto a serving platter or place each into a small bowl. In a medium bowl, mix together 1/3 cup soy sauce, 1/3 cup water, lemon juice, 2 teaspoons garlic, 1 tablespoon ginger, and sugar. Divide into 4 small dipping bowls.
4. Thread two meatballs onto each 10 inch skewer. Grill or broil for 10 to 12 minutes, turning occasionally to brown all sides. If broiling, line the broiler pan with aluminum foil and drain fat after 6 minutes.
5. To eat, place a leaf of lettuce onto the palm of your hand, spoon on a little rice, then a meat roll, and a few of the vegetables. Roll up and dip in dipping sauce or spoon sauce over.
We love to serve this with a melon, orange and pineapple fruit salad. Enjoy!