It is cold out and you would love to sit down to a warm bowl of soup that has been simmering in the dutch oven all day. Too bad your dutch oven is empty when you get home! With this recipe you can fill your dutch oven and your craving for all day flavor soup in minutes. I make this recipe often to save time.
Time Saving Tip: This time of year I always keep onion, celery and carrots to your standing order for home delivery every week. They last well and are the base for many quick and nourishing winter meals. This is a great time to add red bell peppers to your order. They are on sale now through November 21st. We also carry all of the items on this recipes ingredient list. Enjoy!
What you need:
- 1 Tablespoon coconut oil
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 2 Tablespoons minced garlic
- 1 medium (red/yellow/orange are best) bell pepper, seeded and diced
- 1 1/2 cup carrots, diced
- 3 ribs celery, thinly sliced
- 1 Tablespoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 6 cups chicken broth (If using a salted base omit salt)
- 3 15-oz. cans black beans, drained and rinsed (or use your already cooked black beans)
- 1 15-oz. can refried pinto or black beans (or mash some of your already cooked)
- Salt and pepper
In a dutch oven combine onion, garlic, pepper, carrots, and celery in oil in a large saucepan and sauté over medium-high heat. Stir occasionally and cook until softened. Add seasonings. Stir in broth and beans and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low and simmer until warmed through and refried beans are mixed in well, five to ten minutes.
My family likes this for lunch and often serve with sour cream, chopped green onion, chopped cilantro, shredded cheese and for a treat organic tortilla chips.