Healthier Broccoli Soup – A healthier take on Broccoli and Cheese Soup
- 1 bunch broccoli
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1 medium potato (reds are especially great in this recipe)
- 1/4 cup all purpose flour
- 3 cups low-sodium chicken or vegetable broth (or Better Than Bullion)
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- 1 cup grated extra-sharp Cheddar (we like Idaho White Cheddar)
- 1 teaspoon Worchestershire Sauce
- One 12-ounce can fat-free evaporated milk (or equivalent)
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 green onions, thinly sliced
Directions: Separate the stems and the florets from the broccoli. Trim and discard the bottom of the broccoli stems and peel the tough outer layers. Finely chop the stems and coarsely chop the florets and set aside separately.Meanwhile, combine the reserved florets and 1/2 cup water in a small saucepan. Bring to a boil, cover and continue to steam until the florets are bright green and crisp-tender, about 5 minutes. Add the entire contents of the pot with the florets to the soup along with the nutmeg. Stir to combine and remove from the heat. Stir in the Cheddar, Worcestershire and milk. Season with salt and pepper. Sprinkle chopped green onions as garnish.
Mist a large pot with oil and warm over medium heat. Add the broccoli stems, onions and potato and cook, stirring, until softened, 7 to 10 minutes. Add the flour and cook, stirring, until lightly toasted, about 2 minutes. Stir in the broth and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to maintain a simmer and continue to cook, stirring occasionally, until thickened and the vegetables are tender, 12 to 15 minutes.