This soup is so quick and flavorful I can’t help but make it often in the colder seasons. You can toss this together in ten minutes or less. Keep in mind cooking time is about one hour. My entire family loves it and it is made with ingredients I almost always have on had this time of year. Enjoy!
- 1 Onion, chopped
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 2 large carrots, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon each dried oregano and dried basil or 2 teaspoons Italian Seasoning
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 – 14.5 oz. can diced tomatoes
- 2 cups dried lentils
- 8 cups water
- ½ cup spinach, washed and sliced thinly or baby spinach
- 2 tablespoons vinegar
- Salt and ground pepper to taste
- In a large soup pot, heat oil over medium heat. Add onions, carrots and celery; cook and stir until onion is tender. Stir in garlic, bay leaf, oregano and basil. Cook for 2 minutes.
- Stir in lentils. Add water and tomatoes. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for at least 1 hour. When ready to serve stir in spinach and cook until it wilts. Stir in vinegar and season to taste with salt and pepper.