This is one of those recipes I love because it is so very simple and so very delicious. My favorite combination in this season of life! We sometimes top it with browned bacon crumbles, sour cream or green onions.
- 1 whole head garlic
- 4 teaspoons olive oil
- 6 cups thinly sliced leeks
- 4 cups cubed, peeled butternut squash (about one medium)
- 2 cups water
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1/2 teaspoon salt (omit if using broth containing salt)
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black peppercorn
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Remove the outside white papery skin from the garlic. Do not peel or separate cloves. Bake at 350 degrees for one hour. Let cool. Separate cloves; squeezes to extract garlic pulp and discard the skins. Note: I like to make extra and use it for roasted garlic butter, roasted garlic pasta sauce and other recipes later in the week.
- Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add. leek; saute 5 minutes or until tender. Stir in garlic, squash, 2 cups of water, broth, salt and pepper. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat, simmer ten minutes or until squash is tender. Place squash mixture in a blender. Depending on the blender size you may need to do one half at a time. Blend until smooth. Serve. Yields approximately 6 cups.