I suppose you could substitute Arborio rice or Brown Rice in this recipe, but we just love the taste and texture of Farro. This recipe is great anytime of year and gets incredible flavor with fresh herbs and the bright flavor of lemon vinaigrette making it one of our favorites in late Spring and early Summer.
- 4 skinned and boned organic chicken thighs, trimmed
- Lemon vinaigrette (see here – just omit the shallot)
- 1 cup uncooked farro
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt, divided
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled
- 2/3 teaspoon black pepper, divided
- 1/2 red onion, cut into wedges
- 2 stalks celery, sliced
- 1 each red and yellow bell peppers
- 1 1/2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1/2 cup loosely packed fresh flat-leaf parsley leaves
- 1/3 cup torn fresh basil leaves
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme leaves or 1 teaspoon dried
- Place chicken and 1/3 cup Lemon Vinaigrette in a freezer bag or covered bowl in the refrigerator. Allow to marinade 30 minutes or up to one day. (Reserve and chill remaining vinaigrette.)
- Cook farro according to package directions, adding 1 tsp. salt and 2 garlic cloves before bringing to a boil. Drain and rinse; discard garlic, and transfer farro to a large bowl.
Preheat grill to 350° to 400° (medium-high) heat. Remove chicken from marinade, discarding marinade in bag. Sprinkle chicken with 1/4 tsp. each salt and black pepper. Grill chicken, covered with grill lid, 4 to 5 minutes on each side or until done. Transfer to a platter and cover.
- Toss together onion, next 3 ingredients, and remaining 1 tsp. salt and 1/2 tsp. black pepper. Place vegetables in a large grill basket, and grill, covered with grill lid, 10 to 12 minutes or until vegetables start to char and soften, stirring and turning every 2 minutes. Transfer vegetables to bowl, and cover with foil.
Coarsely chop chicken; toss with farro, vegetables, parsley, basil, thyme, and 1/4 cup chilled reserved Lemon Vinaigrette. Season with salt and pepper, and serve with remaining vinaigrette.