When I first started working with fresh seasonal produce in 2002 I remember thinking, “Meyer Lemons. What’s the big deal?” I LOVE lemon flavor. Lemon is one of my favorite go to items to add serious flavor and not compromising great nutrition. I just couldn’t get my mind around a lemon being any better. The first season I sampled Meyer Lemons it was love at first bite!
All About Meyer Lemons
Meyer Lemons have been cultivated for thousands of years. They are native to China and are thought to have been a cross between a lemon and a mandarin orange. Meyer Lemons first made their way to the United States in 1908. They derived their western name from the agricultural explorer that brought them to the United States, Frank Nicholas Meyer.
Meyer Lemons are slightly sweeter and less acidic than other lemons. They also have a much thinner rind that is edible. A Meyer Lemon will usually yield more juice than a traditional lemon. While traditional lemons are available year round the Meyer Lemon has a short season. Be sure to stock up and enjoy while they are available!
The uses for Meyer Lemons is endless. These sweet tart citrus fruits are perfect for desserts, stuffing for chicken, or making simple sweet Meyer lemonade. Here are a few of my other favorite ways to use Meyer Lemons:
- Risotto featuring Meyer Lemon Juice
- Sliced in salad or in salad dressings such as Lemon Shallot Vinaigrette every kind of recipe for baked goods.
- In Spring Recipes featuring Lemons such as Spring Asparagus Risotto.
- Squeezed over vegetables to be roasted, poultry or fish.
- Zested and juiced into muffins and other delicious baked goods.
- Blended into smoothies like Kale Lemonade.
- In Tea – especially Ginger Root & Lemon Tea
- In the place of Lemon in all kinds of my favorite recipes. You can find all these and more on our recipe blog: https://brownboxsoil.wordpress.com/category/produce-recipes/lemons/
As you might expect Meyer Lemons are very nutritious. They provide Vitamin C and other powerful nutrients. My favorite health benefit of Meyer Lemons is what they do not include. Meyer Lemons have no fat and are low in calories, but adds enormous flavor. Great flavor and healthy do go together and using some key ingredients like Lemons, especially Meyer Lemons when in season and fresh herbs make eating REAL.GOOD.FOOD. fun and easy.
For the Brown Box Team