There is something about Spring that makes me think of roasting food. I especially love carrots roasted this time of year and small new or fingerling potatoes are always on our menus. Something new for our table is roasted radish. I didn’t grow up eating radish. While my husband is from Idaho and enjoyed raw radish with salads or eaten out of hand he also had not enjoyed them cooked. We were both pleasantly surprised by how roasting mellows the flavor and has raised our view of radish up several notches.
- 3 – 4 lb. chicken, skin on and bone in, quartered
- 1 lemon, halved
- 3 Tablespoons organic olive oil
- 1-2 lb. new potato or fingerling potato
- 2 bunches radish, stems removed
- Spring Onions or red onion
- 1 lb. baby carrots
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh dill or 2 Tablespoons dried dill
- salt and pepper
- Rinse the chicken and pat dry. Season with salt and pepper. Then place on a baking sheet skin side up. Squeeze half of the lemon over the chicken and drizzle with one Tablespoon of oil. Roast fifteen minutes at 500 degrees.
- Trim and halve the potatoes and radish. Chop the spring onions or red onion into 1 inch pieces. In a large bowl toss potato, radish, onion and carrots in a large bowl with remaining olive oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Remove the chicken from the oven and place the vegetables around the baking sheet. Roast for about twenty minutes or until vegetables are cooked through and chicken reaches internal temperature 165 degrees. Squeeze the remaining half lemon over the chicken and vegetables. Top with dill, salt and pepper to taste.
We are celebrating the 49th anniversary of Earth Month with several fantastic Giveaways between now and April 30th! Visit us on Instagram or Facebook to see how you can win great REAL.GOOD.FOOD. and wellness prizes valued at over $650!
From some of our favorite farms, ranches and food artisans:
- Dawson Taylor Gift Basket: featuring two bags of their favorite blends of locally roasted coffee and a mug. ($30 Value)
- Ballard Cheese Board Gift Box including a delicious assortment of local, hand made artisan cheese including best selling Idaho White Cheddar, Jersey Dream Feta Style Cheese and Idaho Pepper Cheddar, Certified Organic Strawberries, Certified Organic Pear and Organic Golden Round Crackers. ($40 Value)
- Kate’s Bar Variety Case: An assorted case of our favorite Organic bars! Includes twelve bars in a delicious variety of flavors! ($50 Value)
- Meloria Beef Jerky Gift Set. Three bags of best selling Meloria beef jerky made here in Idaho in assorted flavors. ($30 Value)
- Anew Mueseli Gift Set. A nutritious and delicious selection of locally hand crafted Mueseli including Cherry Coconut, Chocolate Peanut Butter and Dates & Nuts. ($30 Value)
- Brown Box Organics Gift Box: This gift box includes a beautiful assortment of delicious, seasonal, Certified Organic Fruit and Vegetables and a delightful selection of our best selling natural and organic groceries. ($100 Value)
- Swedish Massage by Shawna Embry. Swedish Massage uses firm but gentle pressure to promote relaxation, ease muscle tension and create other health benefits.Community Wellness Partners:
- Boise Juice Company Giveaway: Win a $50 gift card and a amazing Basket of Swag! Boise Juice Company was the first organic cold pressed juice company in the Treasure Valley! Boise Juice Company prides itself in providing the most high quality products served with the best customer service in town and invites you to come sample all of their organic cold pressed juices at either one of their two locations! Each bottle of their raw, unpasteurized juice contains about 3 pounds of organic produce and is loaded with live enzymes and nutrients that work to heal and nourish your body! They also specialize in crafting wellness shots, incredible açaí bowls, and whole food smoothies…no ice or added sugars here! Their menu is vegan, gluten-free, and guilt-free. Their locations in Northwest and Southeast Boise are locally owned and family operated. Their third location will be open in Eagle early Summer 2019! ($80 Value)
- Waleli Wellness Giveaway: Sauna Session
Infrared sauna that is great for boosting vitamin D levels, lowering blood pressure, taking away body aches and pains (both for arthritis and relaxation from stress). The sauna is in its own private relaxation room that includes waterfall, ocean, summer nights, thunderstorm of clementines, organic hydrosols for the face and chilled face clothes are provided for/after each session. ($45 Value)
- Essential Life Chiropractic Giveaway: Gift Bag
A gift bag of pampering products and gift certificates from Essential Life Chiropractic including; Rock sauce, a Human Bean Coffee drink card, Beyond Organic book, Pain-a-trate, and a gift certificate for a free exam/xrays. (Valued at $200+)
Find us on Instagram: http://www.Instagram.com/brownboxorganics or Facebook!
As most of you already know, Brown Box Organics is a locally owned small business. We have a fantastic team that is passionate about REAL.GOOD.FOOD. and serving YOU! One of our favorite things to talk about as we hand pack your order are the flavors of the season and recipes we have enjoyed. Poached Pear with Caramel Sauce is one of the seasonally inspired recipes that came up in conversation recently. Thank you to Jessica for sharing this!
“This is a super simple, quick (not counting crockpot time) and easy recipe! And amazingly delicious!” ~ Jessica
4-8 Pears, any kind – depending on how many fit in your crockpot
Cinnamon to sprinkle
1/2 cup Butter
1/2 cup Brown Sugar
3T of milk or cream
Directions: Wash 4 – 8 pears, leaving them whole with the skin on. Place in your crockpot with 1/2 a cup of water. Sprinkle with cinnamon. Cook the pears for about 3 hours on high in the crockpot, until very soft and cooked through. Right before you take out the pears, make the caramel sauce. Take the pears out and put on each individual serving plate, and drizzle a couple spoonfuls of the caramel sauce over it. Serve and enjoy!
Caramel sauce: Put butter, brown sugar, and milk or cream in a saucepan. Melt together and whisk until smooth. Boil for 30 seconds and take off heat. Done!
Have you taken a look at the Sale & Feature recently? We are excited about new items becoming available each week. This week find Snack Size Fuji Apples, Artichoke and Purple Sweet Potatoes and much more. Some of the popular new items in grocery department are:
Chocolate Peanut Museli: Hand crafted locally in Boise, Idaho! Chocolate for breakfast? YOU. KNOW. IT. This classic combo packs in 8 grams of plant-based protein and 7 grams of fiber in every serving. It’s the perfect balance of naughty and nice. And although you’d never guess it, it’s vegan! You CAN have your cake and eat it too. 12 oz. $5.49
Zucchini Spiral Noodles: We like to spiralize zucchinis because they are extremely versatile and packed with nutrition! Zucchini noodles are a high source of antioxidants and vitamin C- the stuff that keeps you from getting the sniffles! Pre-packaged zoodles, like ours, also help improve digestion while staying low in calories and carbs, so your tummy doesn’t feel bloated after a yummy meal. Spiralized zucchini noodles are also loaded with B vitamins, which boost your cognitive health (use your noodle!) and metabolism. And did we mention that pre-packaged zucchini noodles have a quick cook time and taste delicious? Eat ‘em raw, sauteed as an alternative to pasta, sauced, sidelined, in a salad, or as a soup. Your body (and your tastebuds) will thank you! 10.7oz $6.49
Lemon Agave Dressing: The only fresh vinaigrette on the market with an entire real lemon & a touch of blue agave nectar. tart. lightly sweet. just right. not only makes your greens come to life, but also a great marinade for chicken and fish! 8 oz. $5.99
White Cheddar Dressing: This light and refreshing dressing is rich in flavor with real aged white cheddar & fresh green onions. with only 60 calories per serving and 5g of fat, it’s a healthy everyday favorite. -8 oz. $5.99
Find Organic Girl Lemon Chicken Quinoa Bowl Recipe on their web site click here!